Transcribed by Ann McClean from:
"The Mayors of England & Wales 1902"
Coronation Year, King Edward VII
(Compiled and Edited by F.A. Barnes)
Published by W.T. Price & Co, 19, Grand Parade, Brighton, England.
Mr F.W. Brighty and Mrs F.W. Brighty.
Mr F.W. Brighty, of Godmanchester, son of Councillor T. Brighty was born at Godmanchester, and educated at Huntingdon Grammar School under the Rev. Valpy French, D.D. He entered the Council in 1899, was Mayor's Auditor in 1900, and was elected Mayor for the Coronation year on November 9th, 1901; has travelled extensively in Europe.
Mr Brighty married, in 1880, Esther, eldest daughter of Mr John Higgins, of Godmanchester.
Godmanchester is a very ancient and historic town, situated close to Huntingdon, from which it is only seperated by the Ouse, a bridge connecting the two towns. It was formerly a Roman encampment called Durolipons, and received its first Charter from King John, May 20th 1213, being at that time called Gumecester, which was confirmed by Richard II. A.D. 1392; it commenced a new era of municipal history with the Charter of James I. A.D. 1604, and had a long line of baliffs under whom it was governed until the Municipal Act was passed. A new wing was added to the Town Hall in 1900.
Area of the borough, 4907 acres; population, 2095; rateable value, £18,595.
Mr Herbert Charles Jones and Mrs Herbert Charles Jones.
Mr Herbert Charles Jones, The Priory, Huntingdon, son of Mr Charles Edward Jones, was born at Onslow Square, London, in 1857, and educated at Clifton College, Bristol; he is engaged in business at Huntingdon as a brewer. Entered the Town Council in 1899, and elected Mayor, November 9th, 1901, for the Coronation year; a member of Hunt's Council; had fifteen years service in the Militia, and retired as Major in 5th Battalion King's Royal Rifles; is a Justice of the Peace for the county of Hunts.
Mr Jones married, in 1892, Annette Laura, widow of the late Walter Coote, and daughter of the late Mr Brice Frederick Bunny, Commissioner of Titles for Victoria, Australia.
Huntingdon is an extremely old town, having probably existed during the Roman occupation of Britain; Edward the Elder, a Saxon king, built a castle here in 917, and King Edwy founded a mint in the town, which was in operation upto the reign of William Rufus; King John gave the place its first charter, which was renewed, with modifications, until the municipality was modernised. Huntingdon, besides being a very picturesque town, has great historic interest as the birthplace of Oliver Cromwell.
Area of the borough, 1074 acres; population, 4500; rateable value, £21,259.
Town Clerk, Mr J. Percy Maule.
Mr & Mrs George Kiddle
Mr George Kiddle, Osmunda, St Ives, Hunts, the son of Edward Kiddle, was born at St Ives, October 27th, 1844, and educated at the Grammar School, Westwood House, St Ives. Entered the Council in 1895, and was unanimously elected Mayor for Coronation year, November 9th, 1901; in addition to his connection with the Council has long been intimately associated with the public and social life of St Ives; was President of the old Mutual Improvement Society; is now a member of the Reading Club, and of the Book Club, which was founded over a century ago; member of the Board of Guardians; Chairman of the School Board; President of the Literary Institute, the Benevolent Society, and of the Committee of the Conservative Club; Trustee of the Town Estate, and of twelve Wesleyan chapels and ministers' houses, to which religious body he belongs, and has rendered much service as a local preacher, circuit steward, class leader, and Sunday school superintendent.
Mr Kiddle married, January 1871, Emma Elizabeth, daughter of Mr Isaac Lebbelle, of Scoulton, Norfolk.
Although a very ancient town St Ives was not incorporated until 1874; it has great historic interest as the home of Oliver Cromwell in early manhood, a statue to the great Protector being unveiled by Mr H. Hankin, the Mayor for the year, in 1901. A handsome drinking fountain is now being erected in the Broadway by Mr Elliott R. Odams in commemoration of Her late Majesty Queen Victoria's Diamond Jubilee; the neighbourhood is much frequented by anglers and artists, and the quaint bridge over the river with a dwelling house in the centre has formed the subject of many a picture. The town is an important market centre.
Area of the borough, 2326 acres; population, over 3000; rateable value, £12,510.
Town Clerk, Mr G.D. day, M.A., LL.B.
Mr George Keeble, J.P., and Mrs George Keeble.
Mr George Keeble, J.P., of Westwood, Peterborough, the son of George Keeble, was born at Isleworth in 1854, and educated at Gosberton Hall, Spalding. Came to Peteborough in 1885; has been a member of the Council for twelve years; elected Mayor November 9th, 1901, for the Coronation year; Justice of the Peace for the Soke of Peterborough, six years; for the same period President of the Liberal Association; engaged in business as a merchant in the borough.
Mr Keeble married, first, in 1876, Louisa, daughter of Francis Gilbert, of Billinghay, Lincoln; secondly, in 1899, Charlotte, daughter of G. Garwood, Westminster.
Peterborough is a very ancient city, and possesses some curious features of local government. It is a city, and has within it an ancient "Liberty," which was constituted a seperate county in 1888. Peterborough was only incorporated in 1874, but previous to 1885 it was from very ancient times a Parliamentary borough, returning two members to Parliament; by the Redistribution of Seats Act the number was reduced to one. Peterborough has produced some famous ecclesiastics and its splendid cathedral is one of the finest in England.
Area of the borough, 1884 acres; population, 30,000; rateable value, over £124,000.
Town Clerk, Mr William Mellows.